Listen to us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, PocketCasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or other platforms.
Sandhya came to the US as a student, pursuing a non-STEM degree, not realizing the unfavourable immigration path this decision would put her on. The limited conversation around legal immigration, tends to be slanted wholly towards tech and tech-allied sectors, with immigrants in non-STEM sectors largely forgotten even in their own communities.
Later in life, Sandhya obtained a Green Card by marriage, a path that is considered almost a "shortcut" to American Permanent Residency, with those on this path subject to some poorly concealed prejudices.
She shares her journey on the two unusual paths she has inhabited, and shows us elements of the legal immigration process that even we aren't familiar with, making us as much of an audience as you!
- For green card backlog- https://www.cato.org/blog/150-year-wait-indian-immigrants-advanced-degrees
- For opt and stem extension- https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/training-opportunities-in-the-united-states
- Opt and stem extension application- https://www.uscis.gov/opt
- Opt and stem extension unemployment days - https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/sevis-help-hub/student-records/fm-student-employment/unemployment-counter
- H1B Cap - https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models
- H1B Lottery - https://www.murthy.com/2019/12/16/frequently-asked-questions-about-h1b-cap-and-electronic-registration-system/
- Green Card Backlog - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2020/visa-bulletin-for-july-2020.html
- H4-EAD: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/employment-authorization-certain-h-4-dependent-spouses
- EB1: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-first-preference-eb-1
- H1-B Program: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/immigration/h1b
- STEM Fields: https://www.ed.gov/stem#:~:text=These are the kinds of,disciplines collectively known as STEM
- Green Card for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-eligibility/green-card-immediate-relatives-us-citizen