Listen to us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, PocketCasts, Stitcher, or other platforms.
It's hard to picture the extent to which government agencies and policies can pull the strings of life, until you lead the immigrant existence.
Immigration policies, some of them archaic and clunky, often end up impacting every aspect of an immigrant's life- from the roles one is employed in, travel plans and even something as mundane as renewing a driver's license.
So, what is living life in this framework like? What is the good, what's the bad?
We sit down with Arjun, a young tech professional and a friend from graduate school, to pull back the curtain on why he's here and what keeps him going, in the face of serious immigration-related challenges.
- For Green Card backlog- https://www.cato.org/blog/150-year-wait-indian-immigrants-advanced-degrees
- Current status of Green Card backlog - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2020/visa-bulletin-for-july-2020.html
- For opt and stem extension- https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/training-opportunities-in-the-united-states
- Opt and stem extension application- https://www.uscis.gov/opt
- Opt and stem extension unemployment days - https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/sevis-help-hub/student-records/fm-student-employment/unemployment-counter
- H1B Cap - https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models
- H1B Lottery - https://www.murthy.com/2019/12/16/frequently-asked-questions-about-h1b-cap-and-electronic-registration-system/